stephaniebeertje

Stephanie Beerden

Stephanie Beerden was born on Friday the 13th (no joke, she really was) in a small city called Genk and has always been fascinated with the occult, magic and books. Her childhood and teen years were filled with reading lots and lots of books and imagining what life would be like as a real Vampire. Until one day she decided that she wanted to try her hand at writing her own books and that was the beginning of her writing adventure. Her first book is a YA Fantasy called De Elementen – Het Verloren Koninkrijk and after many, many trials and tribulations, one small Dutch publisher decided “Hey, let’s give this girl a shot”. Her second book De Elementen – Archandir has recently been published by same publisher and she couldn’t be happier about that. Stephanie hopes to keep writing as long as she can and already has several writing projects in the works for the future.

The Godborn
The Companions
Robert Anthony Salvatore
Souls of the Stones Omnibus
Kelly Walker
Ruby's Fire - Catherine Stine *Received a free copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*I got this copy from NetGalley after requesting it because I loved the cover and the blurb looked interesting. And I'm happy to say that this book was a great surprise to me. First and foremost the story is about Ruby who lives with cult and on the night she's about to be forcibly made the "wife" of sorts of one of the Elders, she uses a potion she made to make the Elder fall asleep and tak her eight-year-old brother Thorn away from that place. They end up in a place called The Greening. It's run by a woman, named Nevada who let's them stay at the school and continue their education. Then a contest made by Axiom comes up and several schools - including The Greening - are selected to participate and make something with the Fireseed. Needless to say the story was very interesting and compelling. I couldn't stop reading once I started. I loved the way Catherin Stine portays her world and everything in it. There were a few things that bothered me though, which made me drop from 5 stars to 4 stars because of it. One reason was because I noticed a few spelling mistakes and typos that annoyed me during my reading. My second reason is that I don't very much like Ruby, the main character, despite the fact that everything is written from her POV. I just couldn't connect with her. I did like Armonk though and Thorn who - despite not speaking all that much throughout the book - turned out to be one of the most interesting characters in the book. All that said, this book deserves 4 stars, which I'm giving it and I would recommend to the other people who like YA Science Fiction, because this is definitely worth reading at least once.